I decided to start on this subject a bit early this year…New Year’s Resolutions. Why? Because SO many people resolve to “be more fit and healthy” without even really knowing what that means FOR THEM. You cannot be successful and see long lasting results if you don’t not have your “IT” identified and your “WHY” in check. You just can’t – there’s no possible way because the goal is too vague and not personal enough. Some excuse is bound to get in the way.
So many people set themselves up for failure EVERY SINGLE DAY by forgetting to make their goals personal and real in their own unique life and circumstances. Today, I want to change ALL of this for you. Today, we are going to set our goals and our “WHY” together.
These are goals we don’t want:
- I want to be more fit and healthy.
- I want to get up off the couch.
- I want to start eating super healthy.
- I am going to workout every single day
- I am going to eat right and exercise everyday
No one is perfect and these goals create a mental picture of perfection that is easy to get excited about….at first! But what about when real life sets in ???? You need that personal and emotional connection to keep it REAL and to keep you focused.
These are the goals we do want:
- I want to be able to chase after my kids at the park without feeling winded and tired after only 5 minutes.
- I want to be able to go on a bike ride with my family without feeling like I need to quit after 30 minutes.
- I want to be able to look good for my husband/wife. (or, as Jillian Michaels always says: “Maybe you want to have sex with the lights on.”)
- I want to be alive to see my kids get married and my grand kids graduate college
Once you find your “why”…you are unstoppable! Once you know what “IT” REALLY is that you want to achieve, no body can stop you.
Make a REALISTIC and doable plan
- Instead of… “I will go to the gym everyday”….try “I will train chest, shoulders, triceps and quads on Monday and Thursday, I will train back biceps, glutes and hamstrings on Tuesday and Friday and then I will add in one extra day of cardio like running, biking or hiking. I will choose one food each month (that I know I shouldn’t be eating) and either eliminate it or cut back significantly.”
- For more info on setting S.M.A.R.T. goals and making a plan, click here!
- WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS
Build a support team
- Good news: I can be part of your support team! You can interact with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube— I do my absolute best to answer as many questions as I can and provide enough resources to help you reach your goals.
- Ditch all the toxic people in your life that always assume you are going to fail and who bring negative energy into your life.
- Make your family aware of your goals, let them know how important it is to you that they support your goals and encourage you always.
Live each day moment….by……moment!
- In every decision that you make (whether it’s going to the gym, making a meal choice, etc.) ask yourself “Is this going to get me to _________ (insert your WHY)?”
When you are strong physically and mentally and can reach your health and fitness goals…it transcends into so many other areas of your life and can make you feel more confident and have more self-esteem to go for other things in life and chase other dreams that you may have. I know one of the most motivating feelings EVER, for me, was when I started seeing results from all of my hard work in the gym. It made me a better student in college, it made me a better team player, it may me feel WORTHY enough to at least ask for basically anything that I wanted.
Remember, not matter what: EVERYONE needs to care about what they’re eating and everyone needs to workout in a way that is doable and fun for them.