One of the most important things I’ve been working on over the last year is my morning ritual. My “me” time first thing and working towards solidifying habits that get me started and energized in the morning. It is really the most vital component to a successful, productive and positive day. If I wake up and immediately start checking social media and my email and getting caught up in other people’s requests of me – I am starting my day off as a slave to OTHER PEOPLE’S agendas. And that’s NOT what I want to do.
I want to be my most productive self and make GREAT contributions to my job and the lives (professional and personal) of others. But, if I just immediately start in reaction mode (based on requests from others) I’m really not doing them or myself a favor. In fact, checking email and social media right when I wake up makes me think of all the things I need to do for that day. In the morning, I don’t want to think about that stuff. I just want MY time and MY space to bring in the best energy I possibly can.
So, that’s where the morning ritual comes into play. Your morning ritual does not (and should not) be the same as mine. It can be as simple or as complex as you like – whatever you can stick to. BUT it does have to include movement. This is what I do RIGHT when I wake up before I do anything:
My morning ritual
- DRINK 40 oz of room temperature water: This hydrates ALL my cells and gets my metabolism revved up. Why room temperature water? Because when it’s cold your body has to warm it up before it can be used. Giving myself room-temperature (or even warm) water allows my body to use it RIGHT away. The first 32 oz are just plain water. Then the last 8 oz I add 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, two drops lemon essential oil and two drops Slim & Sassy essential oil from doTERRA.
- MOVE! If I am not doing a morning workout, then I do at least a 5-minute dynamic warm up. Some yoga poses, stretching and arm circles. LOTS of breathing here too! When the weather isn’t too cold – I open up the windows or the door to my patio to really get in some fresh air.
- BREAKFAST: I make a homemade wholesome breakfast every single morning. During the week it’s either a veggie omelette with avocado or a protein smoothie with tons of greens and berries. On the weekend (usually Sunday’s) I make protein pancakes. I do not start my day without eating a homemade breakfast…period!
A couple other things I have been adding to my morning ritual lately are:
- Write 3 positive things that happened the previous day in my “positivity journal” that I bought when I was in Japan. This forces me to think about the previous day and scan the day for positive and good things that happened. It also makes me more likely to focus on the positive and good things throughout the day so I have things to write down in my journal.
- Drink 8 oz of bone broth with breakfast. Healing leaky gut, improving the immune system, combating against cellulite, improving hair, skin and nails are just SOME of the benefits of bone broth. I taught you guys how to make bone broth on Facebook LIVE! If you haven’t already seen it, check it out – it’s super simple and tastes amazing!
Now it’s your turn…
What is your morning ritual. Share it with me by sending me a tweet! I can’t wait to hear about your #morningritual <3